I have now numbered each camera (just visible on the photo in the previous post), in the order they were purchased. Each camera has a different version of the firmware, and the later two are a different model to the first.
Using the found card model on the previous post, I noted each camera’s performance. Continue reading
In order to investigate the problems with some of the Yi cameras stopping recording, and to test the use of found materials for the models, I made a quick assembly from card from a recently purchased Ikea flat pack packaging. I will discuss the model and test filming here, and the investigation into the camera problems in the next post.
For the reconvening of the Austinmer International Knitting Circle I had brought yarn to dye with eucalyptus leaves. The silk yarn once skeined left three perforated grey card cones. The grey card is similar to that commonly used for architectural models, and the form of the cones and perforations made an interesting found object, both externally and internally. I thought this would be an interesting object to film, and the three cones matched the three Yi cameras.
When the exposed cyanotype net was refolded back into a room the effect of the sun “shadows” on the space was particularly effective. The model was just large enough to film from the short end. I made a small number of test footage of some of the cyanotype print rooms.
The prints from the cyanotype room/camera models are recorded below. I preferred the print to have the window wall at the bottom, so that it connected directly with the shadows on the floor. Occasionally I exposed them the other way up. On the 20th April (when most of the tests were conducted) there was intermittent sun and cloud all day. This had the effect that the solid dark blue “shadows” of the sunlight are not continuous, rather each marks the time the sun emerged from behind clouds.
While in NSW, visiting Jo, Redmond and Hollis this Easter I did some work with cyanotypes. Redmond is a cyanotype expert, and introduced me to the technique nearly 10 years ago (the pictures below shows him in December 2007 doing an exposure test strip in the back garden of their old house).
While in Perth I set up the three Yi model in my Mum’s back garden, taking advantage of the strong Australian light.